Guest Post: Giordana Mecagni, 3/28/16
The simplest way to collocate our materials in a shared portal like Digital Commonwealth or DPLA is to consistently apply an agreed upon subject heading. There are numerous Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Thesaurus of Graphic Materials (TGM) topical terms that could be applied to desegregation materials, including:
- Busing for school integration [LCSH]
- Busing (School integration) [TGM]
- Segregation in education [LCSH]
- School integration [LCSH and TGM]
- Segregation [LCSH and TGM]
Working in a vacuum, one institution could decide to apply the term “Segregation in education” to all desegregation materials, while another could decide to apply “School integration,” making it more difficult to connect these materials in a shared system.